Sonora Christmas Bird Count follow-up: a few fuzzy photos of really cool birds

For the full story on this adventure, see Matt Brooks' excellent summary of the Christmas Bird Counts we joined in and around Alamos, Sonora:
http://adventurebirding.blogspot.com/2011/01/guest-blogger-matt-brooks-sonora.html
 
Unfortunately I could only carry my little Canon Powershot S5 with me into the wilderness, but I couldn't resist sharing a few of my "souvenir" photos from the Santa Barbara CBC (officially called the Rancho Ecol√≥gico Monte Mojino count).  NOTE: click on any of these photos to enlarge.

Colima Pygmy-Owl pair!  Note the undertail pattern, useful for identifying several species of pygmy-owl.


The only "window" I had to photograph this Bare-throated Tiger-Heron...


The charistmatic Black-throated Magpie-Jay (always difficult to photograph without branches in the way!)

Finally, the grand prize: Eared Quetzal.  Normally an exceedingly difficult species to see, this individual was no exception.  Amazingly, we saw six (yes, 6) individuals in one tree!  Even so, I still can't believe I managed even this quick shot...



Good birding,
John Yerger
Tucson, AZ
john@adventurebirding.com
----------
Adventure Birding Company
Specializing in flexible, personalized guiding in SE Arizona
www.adventurebirding.com
520-495-0229

No comments: